Understand The Cause: Piriformis Syndrome
What is Piriformis Syndrome? Piriformis Syndrome is a moderately-rare condition where the piriformis muscle tends to have spasms, cause pain in the lower region of your body. The piriformis muscle is located in the buttock area, and the syndrome tends to cause acute and immense buttock pain. In almost all cases, the piriformis muscle will irritate the sciatic nerve and cause sharp pain, numbness and tingling in the leg and into the foot.
The piriformis muscle helps the hip rotate, allowing your legs to turn outward and rotate. Sacroiliac joint irritation often effects the piriformis muscle.
What are the symptoms of Piriformis Syndrome?
- A lingering dull pain in the buttock
- Pain in the back of your thigh, calf & foot
- Pain while reaching elevated surfaces (stairs, inclines)
- Increasingly awful pain shortly after sitting for a long period of time
According to Spine-health.com, there are specific ways to stretch one’s piriformis muscle. Here are two ways:
- Lie on the back with both feet flat on the floor and both knees bent. Pull the right knee up to the chest, grasp the knee with the left hand and pull it towards the left shoulder and hold the stretch. Repeat for each side.
- Lie on the back with both feet flat on the floor and both knees bent. Rest the ankle of the right leg over the knee of the left leg. Pull the left thigh toward the chest and hold the stretch. Repeat for each side.
If you’re interested in hearing more about Piriformis Syndrome and how-to combat the syndrome, follow this link for the Piriformis Syndrome Video from Spine-health.
If you or someone you love suffers from Chronic Pain for whatever reason, try a free sample of MYONATURAL today. Just pay S+H. Interested in an alternate form of pain relief? Try our CBD sprays, made with 100% pure CBD isolate, each bottle holds 240 metered sprays. Click here and start relieving your pain.