Anti-inflammatory is the property or characteristic of a substance to reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling. Anti-inflammatory drugs and foods are present to help reduce pain effects. Anti-inflammatory makes about half of analgesics (any drug used to relieve from pain effect) reduces pain by relieving the inflammation.
NSAIDs (Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs):
NSIAIDs are the drugs that help alleviate the pain by counteracting an enzyme cyclooxygenase (COX). The enzyme COX release prostaglandin in the body that causes inflammation. But as a whole NSAIDs prevent the prostaglandin from being synthesized and reduces inflammation and pain effects. There are two COX enzymes COX-1 and COX-2. Both enzymes produce prostaglandin that promotes inflammation, fever, and pain as well. COX-1 enzyme produces prostaglandin that supports platelets and protection of the stomach. NSAIDs block the COX enzyme and reduces prostaglandin concentration throughout the body. As a result of this the ongoing inflammation, pain, and fever is reduced. Following are some examples of NSAIDs available:
Long term usage of NSAIDs have bad effects. It can cause gastric erosions which becomes a stomach ulcer. In severe cases, it causes hemorrhage leading to death. Other risks of NSAIDs involves exacerbating asthma and severe kidney damage. Apart from aspirin and over-the-counter NSAIDs also increases the risk of heart attack and stroke. NSAIDS are helpful in alleviating pain effects but can cause drastic damages if exceeded above a certain limit.
Anti-inflammatory diet leads to good health
If you are facing the conditions of inflammation then certain foods are available to reduce this effect. Many experts tell that adopting an anti-inflammatory diet will help you to lead towards a healthy lifestyle. The anti-inflammatory food you should eat are as follows:
1. Fruits and vegetables: Vegetables that are rich in vitamin K help to relieve inflammation. It includes leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, and cabbage that curb inflammation. Fruits like cherries, raspberries, and blackberries have a pigment present in them due to their bright color that helps fight inflammation.
2. Whole grains: Grains rich in fiber help in reducing inflammatory effects to a certain extent. Oatmeal, brown rice, whole-wheat bread contain a very high content of fiber therefore help in reducing inflammation.
3. Beans and nuts: Beans are rich in fibers and antioxidants therefore help in producing anti-inflammatory effects. Nuts have healthy fat present in them that helps in dismissing inflammation, olive oil and avocado are good sources. Use a handful of nuts, otherwise excess fats will pile up in the body.
4. Fish: Fish is a very good source of omega-3 fatty acids that help to fight inflammation. Try to use salmon, tuna, and sardines twice a week to keep you fit and healthy.
5. Herbs and spices: Herbs and spices contain a rich content of anti-oxidants. Turmeric is composed of a substance called curcumin. This substance helps to relieve inflammation.
Avoid all the foods that are over-greasy, over-sweet and highly processed as they will only increase inflammation.